Have you ever taken a look at the laws and statutes for your state or
country? The dense tangle of legalese probably sounds like nonsense.
The Internet has seen its fair share of "stupid law" lists. Most of
the laws cited are fake, and so are the following
randomly generated laws... but, in the United States at least, you never know.
- Under the Iowa State Constitution, it's against the law to ride a bicycle while at a football game.
- In St. Simms County, Ohio, it's a crime to use the saying "Life is like a bowl of cherries" unless you know what it really means.
- It's a misdemeanor to read a newspaper upside-down according to Alaska law.
- It's illegal for a lawmaker to compose a law that a typical fourth-grader would be unable to comprehend in Eugene Plains County, Alaska.
- Under the Indiana State Constitution, it's illegal to use a seat cushion as a floatation device.
- In Illinois, it's unlawful for the host at a dinner party to serve a cheeseburger on black plates.
- In Nevada, it's forbidden to build a time machine except during an emergency.
- In Spruceton, Ohio, it's a felony to give alcohol to any turkey in the vicinity of a public school in the evening.
- In Iowa, it's forbidden for a farmer to plant corn in May.
- It's against the law in Virgil City, West Virginia to curse near a city library.
- According to Indiana law, it's a crime to hit a webmaster over the head with a cardboard box.
- In Blue Mountain County, Wyoming, it's prohibited to operate a digital camera while blindfolded.
- It's against the law to chew gum and drive a car at the same time with no exceptions in San Lemke, South Carolina.
- It's a violation of the law to kill a poison ivy plant within 850 feet of a city council meeting without the express written permission of Major League Baseball under the South Dakota State Constitution.
- It's illegal in Red Bay, Ohio to hitch a horse to a parking meter at night.
- Under the Oregon State Constitution, it's a misdemeanor to give alcohol to any cat within a mile of a landfill during a thunderstorm.
- In Yogho County, Vermont, it's against the law to carry an ice cream cone and whistle at the same time without the express written permission of the appropriate governing body.
- In South Dakota, it's a Class C felony to curse near a public school.
- According to Kentucky law, it's unlawful to allow a dog to eat a child's homework.
- In Laville, Texas, it's a crime for a man to give his wife a box of candy costing less than $36 or weighing less than 58 pounds.
- According to Connecticut law, it's a misdemeanor to post election signs for a Democratic candidate with no exceptions.
- It's unlawful to discriminate against a lawyer who is unable to ride a bicycle in Alabama.
- In Utah, it's forbidden to write a letter to the editor of a newspaper unless you are registered to vote.
- In Cipolla-Runfola, West Virginia, it's punishable by a $4,000 fine to read a newspaper upside-down.
- In Florida, it's punishable by a $6,000 fine to sell a desktop computer to a elected official.
Who needs a million monkeys?
[ Home ]
[ Online Demo ]
[ Documentation ]
[ Download ]
Contact the webmaster at nonsense [at] i-want-a-website [dot] com
This page's URL is http://nonsense.sourceforge.net/demo/stupidlaws/.
This page was last updated February 25, 2001.