Have you ever taken a look at the laws and statutes for your state or
country? The dense tangle of legalese probably sounds like nonsense.
The Internet has seen its fair share of "stupid law" lists. Most of
the laws cited are fake, and so are the following
randomly generated laws... but, in the United States at least, you never know.
- It's a violation of the law to use the word "veer" in a perjorative way in South Dakota.
- In Adell County, Rhode Island, it's unlawful to sell fleas at a flea market.
- According to New Hampshire law, it's a felony to attempt to bribe an elected official with less than $19,000.
- It's against the law for a clergyman to eat peanuts while on duty in North Dakota.
- Under the West Virginia State Constitution, it's a violation of the law for birds to sing after 10:00 o'clock in the evening.
- Under the South Carolina State Constitution, it's prohibited to discharge a cannon at a wedding while drunk.
- It's a felony in Gum City, Florida to use the word "budebra" in a perjorative way.
- In North Carrollton County, Alabama, it's illegal to bring a crying baby to a football game.
- It's punishable by a $8,000 fine to exceed the speed of 2-1/2 miles per hour while riding a bicycle in a city park in Nuttall-Gillette County, New Jersey.
- It's a Class C felony for a woman to ask a man out on a date except on Tuesday in Ohio.
- It's punishable by a $5,000 fine to flip a coin in order to determine who will pay the bill at a restaurant in Glenn Hollow County, Oregon.
- According to New Jersey law, it's unlawful to operate a microbrewery within a mile of a public school.
- It's prohibited in Letdol, Louisiana for a women weighing more than 274 pounds to walk backwards in the morning.
- In East Varnaton, Alaska, it's forbidden to engage in a public display of affection for more than 19 minutes.
- Under the Tennessee State Constitution, it's a misdemeanor to cough close to a public school on Sunday.
- In Emorpheburg County, Indiana, it's punishable by a $7,000 fine to wear a white XXXL T-shirt after Labor Day.
- It's a crime in South Dupree, South Carolina to scare a sleeping cow except when the President is giving a speech on national television.
- It's a misdemeanor in San Jose, Massachusetts to install more than two digital cameras in one house.
- It's punishable by a $7,000 fine in Coddington, Maryland for a man to give his sweetheart a box of candy costing less than $55 or weighing less than 40 pounds.
- Under the Michigan State Constitution, it's a crime to purchase a desktop computer made in Lebanon.
- In Nebraska, it's punishable by a $1,000 fine to write a research paper about "stupid laws".
- Under the Tennessee State Constitution, it's illegal to steal a road sign unless you have a good reason.
- It's prohibited in New Maxwell, New Hampshire to speak English in the presense of a milkman.
- Under the Massachusetts State Constitution, it's unlawful to use a deer as a mascot.
- It's a violation of the law to chew gum while at a concert under the New Mexico State Constitution.
Who needs a million monkeys?
[ Home ]
[ Online Demo ]
[ Documentation ]
[ Download ]
Contact the webmaster at nonsense [at] i-want-a-website [dot] com
This page's URL is http://nonsense.sourceforge.net/demo/stupidlaws/.
This page was last updated February 25, 2001.