Have you ever taken a look at the laws and statutes for your state or
country? The dense tangle of legalese probably sounds like nonsense.
The Internet has seen its fair share of "stupid law" lists. Most of
the laws cited are fake, and so are the following
randomly generated laws... but, in the United States at least, you never know.
- It's forbidden for a lawmaker to compose a law that a typical third-grader would be unable to comprehend in Strekal Town County, South Dakota.
- It's illegal in Uverchan, Pennsylvania for a man to give his prom date a box of candy costing less than $52 or weighing less than 44 pounds.
- It's punishable by a $7,000 fine to laugh at a lawyer joke under the Maryland State Constitution.
- It's a crime in Westburg, Michigan to kill a mosquito on a bridge without a good reason.
- Under the Minnesota State Constitution, it's illegal to hit a hornet with a comb.
- In Smeets-Beeckmans, Vermont, it's forbidden for a person declared as a "Town Drunk" to drink more than 7 beers within an hour.
- It's a felony in Upper Libis, Alabama to set a mousetrap without a hunting permit.
- It's a violation of the law in Vernon City, Tennessee to write a book about "stupid laws".
- In Pennsylvania, it's a Class C felony to open a soda can while in a swimming pool.
- In White Gum County, Nevada, it's a felony for a married man to ride a bicycle in the vicinity of a city park unless his wife is present.
- It's a felony in Paula Swamp, Rhode Island for a farmer to plant corn in October.
- It's a crime in Jackson, New York for a webmaster to sing while on duty.
- It's a misdemeanor in Jessie Town, Mississippi to give alcohol to any dog close to a city park.
- In New Mexico, it's a violation of the law to sell a digital camera to a fireman.
- In Old Clerbush, Alaska, it's a crime for a school teacher to sing while on duty.
- In North Station, New Mexico, it's a violation of the law to build a time machine except during an emergency.
- It's punishable by a $1,000 fine in Atoka, Illinois to refer to a New York Times columnist as a "major league asshole" without the express written permission of Major League Baseball.
- It's a crime in Berkley, Rhode Island to mispronounce the name of the state tree.
- Under the Montana State Constitution, it's illegal to use a digital camera without first reading the manual.
- In Velma Mountain County, Connecticut, it's a felony to chew gum while in a burning building.
- In Louisiana, it's unlawful to play poker within 790 feet of a landfill.
- It's a Class A felony in Edmond Beach, Utah to steal a road sign unless you have a good reason.
- According to New Hampshire law, it's punishable by a $1,000 fine to use the saying "Life is like a bowl of cherries" unless you know what it really means.
- It's a felony in East Shermanburg, Montana to skip church to go to a football game on a Sunday.
- It's illegal to build a snowman taller than 90 inches under the Kansas State Constitution.
Who needs a million monkeys?
[ Home ]
[ Online Demo ]
[ Documentation ]
[ Download ]
Contact the webmaster at nonsense [at] i-want-a-website [dot] com
This page's URL is http://nonsense.sourceforge.net/demo/stupidlaws/.
This page was last updated February 25, 2001.