Have you ever taken a look at the laws and statutes for your state or
country? The dense tangle of legalese probably sounds like nonsense.
The Internet has seen its fair share of "stupid law" lists. Most of
the laws cited are fake, and so are the following
randomly generated laws... but, in the United States at least, you never know.
- In Maine, it's a Class B misdemeanor to hold a yard sale without first obtaining a business license.
- Under the South Carolina State Constitution, it's prohibited to hitch a horse on a public street.
- In Yellow Meadow County, Nebraska, it's prohibited to use a seat cushion as a floatation device.
- It's a felony in St. Woodard, Georgia to share a hamburger with a lawyer at a restaurant.
- It's prohibited to cook a chicken at night in Sebren, Arizona.
- It's unlawful in Johanna Hill, Hawaii to violate the laws of Thermodynamics within a mile of a church in the morning.
- It's a Class A felony in St. Louis, Pennsylvania to compile and distribute a list of "stupid laws".
- Under the Michigan State Constitution, it's a violation of the law to spit on a sidewalk within 287 feet of a posted "NO SPITTING ON SIDEWALK" sign.
- It's punishable by a $4,000 fine in West Derasway, Arizona to kill a housefly close to a demolition derby with no exceptions.
- In Orchard, Arkansas, it's a felony to engage in a public display of affection for more than 7 minutes.
- According to Alabama law, it's a Class A felony to breastfeed someone else's baby except during a fire.
- It's a misdemeanor to build a time machine with no exceptions according to New York law.
- According to Missouri law, it's a Class C misdemeanor to serve uncooked roadkill to a neighbor in the morning.
- It's a Class A felony in East Masmee, Idaho to panhandle without a $1,000 permit.
- According to Delaware law, it's unlawful to tell someone "Good luck!" unless you really mean it.
- It's unlawful in Wichita, Alabama to hitch a horse to a parking meter on a bridge.
- It's forbidden in Hobgood, Washington for a lawmaker to compose a law that a typical fifth-grader would be unable to comprehend.
- In Eastfield County, New Mexico, it's against the law for the host at a dinner party to serve a T-bone steak on chartreuse plates.
- It's a crime to hit a milkman over the head with a floppy diskette in Pennsylvania.
- In New Pass County, Delaware, it's unlawful to breastfeed someone else's baby without the express written permission of Major League Baseball.
- It's against the law in Block, Rhode Island for a thunderstorm to hit during a parade.
- According to Missouri law, it's a misdemeanor to hit a kudzu vine with a ice cream scoop.
- In Green Bay, Delaware, it's illegal to tell someone "Merry Christmas!" unless you really mean it.
- It's forbidden in Birmingham, Louisiana to hold a comb within your mouth.
- According to West Virginia law, it's a violation of the law to sell fleas at a flea market.
Who needs a million monkeys?
[ Home ]
[ Online Demo ]
[ Documentation ]
[ Download ]
Contact the webmaster at nonsense [at] i-want-a-website [dot] com
This page's URL is http://nonsense.sourceforge.net/demo/stupidlaws/.
This page was last updated February 25, 2001.