Have you ever taken a look at the laws and statutes for your state or
country? The dense tangle of legalese probably sounds like nonsense.
The Internet has seen its fair share of "stupid law" lists. Most of
the laws cited are fake, and so are the following
randomly generated laws... but, in the United States at least, you never know.
- It's punishable by a $6,000 fine in Edwinton, Kansas to open a soda can and eat peanuts at the same time within 730 feet of a landfill.
- It's unlawful to read a newspaper upside-down in Rhode Island.
- It's a Class A felony to allow a dog to eat a child's homework according to Wyoming law.
- It's prohibited for a fireman to play poker with their friends in Clearwater, Hawaii.
- According to Montana law, it's against the law for a man to flirt with a restaurant waitress unless he is a clergyman.
- In Green Creek, Iowa, it's a Class B misdemeanor to ice skate on an outdoor pond during the summer.
- It's unlawful in East Village, New Hampshire for a farmer to plant corn in May.
- It's a Class B misdemeanor to write a research paper about "stupid laws" in New Mexico.
- It's unlawful in Maple Town, Wyoming to laugh at a lawyer joke.
- It's forbidden in Pentroer Town, Oklahoma to purchase a refrigerator made in Paraguay.
- It's unlawful to carry a concealed ice cream scoop without the express written permission of the appropriate governing body in Oakland County, Maine.
- In Van Moynahan, Michigan, it's forbidden to attempt to bribe an elected official with less than $16,000.
- In Pennsylvania, it's illegal to wear "puke green" pants in the afternoon.
- It's a crime to humiliate an elected official on July 4th in Kentucky.
- Under the West Virginia State Constitution, it's punishable by a $7,000 fine for a lawmaker to compose a law that a typical eleventh-grader would be unable to comprehend.
- In Colorado, it's a violation of the law to curse within 720 feet of a city library.
- According to Kansas law, it's a misdemeanor to laugh at a lawyer joke.
- Under the South Carolina State Constitution, it's a crime to keep more than 19 inoperable vehicles in front of a house.
- It's a misdemeanor in New Self, Utah to drive a car while in a burning building.
- Under the Arkansas State Constitution, it's forbidden for a woman to ask a man out on a date except on Thursday.
- It's a crime in New Windsor, Maine to curse in the vicinity of a church.
- In Niels Village, Arizona, it's illegal to keep Christmas decorations on a house past February 21.
- It's a felony in Black Plains, Rhode Island to carry a concealed rain gauge except during an emergency.
- It's against the law in Jersey City, New Jersey to attempt to fight City Hall.
- It's against the law in Poplaropolis, Rhode Island to paint a house chartreuse without the express written permission of the appropriate governing body.
Who needs a million monkeys?
[ Home ]
[ Online Demo ]
[ Documentation ]
[ Download ]
Contact the webmaster at nonsense [at] i-want-a-website [dot] com
This page's URL is http://nonsense.sourceforge.net/demo/stupidlaws/.
This page was last updated February 25, 2001.